For a scratch cake, this recipe is pretty simple and quick. Sometimes you need quick. Like those moments when your kids inform you that they forgot to mention they have to bring cupcakes to school the next day…and it’s 9 PM. Or when your hubby/wife says he/she will rub your feet if you feed him/her cupcakes, and you have no cupcakes, your feet hurt, and…it’s 9 PM. We all have those days, right? These cupcakes will come to the rescue. They’re called lemon velvet but they could easily become a nice velvety vanilla cupcake too by just omitting the lemon zest. A versatile and easy recipe cure for forgetful kids and/or sore feet.
Quick Lemon Velvet Cupcakes
(makes 12-14 cupcakes)
175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
160g superfine or bakers sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest (about 1 med lemon)
1 1/2 teaspoons good vanilla extract
pinch of kosher salt
1 tablespoon sweet sherry wine or Madeira (optional)
2 eggs, at room temperature
160g self-rising flour
100g unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
200 ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Sift together the 2 flours and the baking soda, set aside.
- Beat the softened butter, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and pinch of salt together on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the sherry and beat well.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, and scrape down the bowl after each addition.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, fold in the flour and the buttermilk alternately beginning and ending with the flour.
- Scoop even amounts of batter into cupcake tins and bake for 16-20 min (depending on your oven). Cupcakes are done when a toothpick test comes out clean and tops are springy
- Leave in pans for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Note: Frost the cupcakes as soon as they are cool and then store in an airtight container or box immediately after frosting to prevent them from drying out. You can brush on a simple syrup before frosting to keep the cakes nice and moist. Cupcakes can also be frozen for up to 1 month.
We used this recipe for our lemon blueberry pie cupcakes for “national pi day” on 3/14 :)